Working on a classic Chevrolet El Camino? The tailgate is probably the last thing you'd consider updating. However, you'll want to make sure to get yours right if you want to fully complete your restoration project. There's much to learn about one, too -- which is where our auto parts store comes in.
For one, since the tailgate lowers to make it easier to load or unload items, there are more components than just the shell to consider. The hardware involved in the tailgate assembly is also essential, since that's what actually allows you to lower and raise the shell. Some other critical parts of a tailgate, and what they do, are as follows:
- Lock: works with accessories like tonneau covers to secure your cargo.
- Lift support: makes opening the tailgate easier, using compression to prop the panel up.
- Hinge: connects the tailgate to the frame of your car, allowing the former to be opened.
- Latch and handle: work together to pull the rods connected to the outside panel latches, retracting them and releasing the tailgate so you can lift it.
- Trim: paneling on top of the tailgate that safeguards its upper portion. Some trim even adds a stylish look to boot.
- Lock solenoid: activates the spring-trigged locking mechanism that secures some tailgates. It works with a relay, which does as its name implies for the current that triggers the lock.
- Lock cylinder: accepts the right key to lock and unlock the tailgate handle. It works with a striker bolt and bushing to keep the tailgate secure.
- Seal: closes gaps around the tailgate.
If your tailgate shell is rusted, scratched, or dented, you'll want to replace it with a new one. If your hardware is still in working order, however, changing the shell shouldn't take much time at all. Just be sure to carefully inspect the bolts, hinges, retaining cables, and any electrical components. If they're showing excessive wear and tear, it's best to replace everything at once. Don't forget to upgrade to a shiny new tailgate handle while you're at it!
Shop Genuine OEM Tailgate Components for Your Chevy El Camino Online
Ordering all these and more is a breeze when you buy from us. Our online auto parts store should have everything you need for a DIY project, in stock and ready to ship right out. Save both time and money and buy now!